Charles acts for claimants and respondents of all sizes in a broad range of unfair dismissal, discrimination and TUPE related claims. He appears at tribunals and courts throughout the country and is happy to advise at mediations (both judicial and private). He advises on settlement agreements and is, where appropriate, able to accept instructions without an intermediary.
Recent cases include:
- Successfully arguing at trial that the policy of an NHS trust requiring an employee to use accrued holiday to “fund” a phased return to work was, on the facts, discriminatory.
- Successfully arguing that time spent in early conciliation but prior to resignation should extend the time for bringing a claim for constructive unfair dismissal.
- Acting at trial for a respondent seeking to show that the claimant was neither an employee nor a worker in a “gig economy” case.
- Establishing unfair dismissal in a case where the claimants had all accepted failing a random drugs test in safety critical employment.
- Acting for a teacher subjected to a sustained campaign of discrimination by pupils on the grounds of race.
“Your fine efforts are very much appreciated. I feel that you have captured the essence of a case which appears to be simple but which the Respondent sought to turn into a messy and complex matter by their continuous obfuscation.” – Mr. A.
Charles’ personal injury and clinical negligence practice takes him throughout the country. He advices in writing and conference on a wide range of medical issues as well as representing clients throughout through to trial or JSM.
He represents both claimants and defendants in a broad range of personal injury cases on the fast and multi tracks, including RTA, LVI/suspected fraud, EL, Industrial Disease, Occupier’s Liability, and costs. He is happy, in appropriate cases, to undertake work under a conditional fee agreement without uplift.
Charles regularly represents claimants and defendants in credit hire claims of all sizes.
‘Recommended for a wide spectrum of personal injury claims.’ – Legal 500 2017
Charles advises and represents individuals and businesses of all sizes in commercial and professional negligence cases. He acts for insurers pursing subrogated claims. In appropriate cases he is able to take instructions direct from businesses and individuals.
Recent cases include:
- Acting for a retiring partner in a claim concerning the partnership assets.
- Advising the Claimant in a claim against her former solicitors who had acted in conflict.
- Successfully pursuing a claim for misrepresentation in relation to the purchase of a classic car.
- Advising in relation to enforceability of oral contract for hire of plant and equipment.
- Representing lenders facing a series of challenges to the enforceability of agreements under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and associated legislation.
- Advising insurers in relation to a subrogated claim following house fire.
- Advising insurers in relation to subsidence caused by tree roots.
‘Calm and focused under pressure, he delivers practical outcomes and results.’ – Legal 500 2016
‘Very knowledgeable and enthusiastic.’ – Legal 500 2017
‘He combines commanding attention to detail with astute commercial awareness.’ – Legal 500 2018
Click here to return to the Barrister page