Since the situation became increasingly troubling our team have worked hard to be in a position to assist our professional and lay clients, the Courts, and the Ministry of Justice to keep the system running in these unprecedented circumstances.
All of our members are trained on using the main cloud-based video platforms considered by Macdonald J in his recent guidance (CVP, Sykpe for Business, Zoom and Microsoft Teams), and we have been conducting remote hearings from home since Friday 20 March 2020. Members are able to accept instructions and papers electronically. Our clerking team will be happy to help you with any advice about the best ways to send bulky documents.
Our clerking team are also fully set up to work remotely, and our phone lines and diary systems mean that you will continue to experience the same high standard you have come to expect from Magdalen Chambers.
The situation is still evolving on an almost daily basis, but Magdalen Chambers is at the forefront of the efforts to keep the justice system running. Our Heads of Chambers and Teams are in contact regularly with the Senior Judiciary to ensure that we are able to provide the best assistance possible, within the guidelines. To that end we can provide:
- A fully set up, dedicated video suite which is sufficiently spacious for Counsel and client to be the recommended distance apart if it is necessary and safe for them to be in the same room providing the security and confidentiality required by the Court in sensitive Children Act proceedings;
- Smaller conference rooms in which a representative can sit alone in order to participate remotely in proceedings without the need to sit in the same room as a client, minimising risk to each individual;
- This also provides the facility for clients who require the assistance and support of an intermediary or interpreter, allowing them to be in the same building, accessing the same video platform, but not the same room;
- A fully trained team to conduct Private FDRs, including retired District Judges Arnold and Waterworth and Retired Circuit Judge HHJ Tyzack QC, alongside our wealth of fee paid judges in Chambers (Deputy District Judges and Recorders) as well as our well-respected team of finance practitioners. The Courts have been clear that FR cases are likely to be significantly delayed whilst priority is given to Children Act cases: Our clients do not need to wait for the Court to catch up with the inevitable and significant delays which will follow this crisis;
- Our Direct Access barristers and clerking team remain fully set up and able to offer advice to clients in all disciplines. If you are struggling with the particular difficulties of cohabiting under the current Public Health guidelines and fear that you are unable to seek advice about a difficult situation then please contact us. We have experience of working remotely and discretely to ensure that you can still access advice and support.
- We can also ensure that urgent applications designed to provide safeguarding for yourself and vulnerable dependents are made properly and promptly.
To talk to us please call – 01392 285 200
To email us please use – email@example.com
Our hours are 8.30-6 Monday to Thursday and until 5.30 on Fridays.